7.16.2014

cucumber salsa recipe

Well it looks like I've become quite the chef the past few days. 2 recipes in one week, that's a record. Chips + salsa are one of my many favorite foods. Occasionally I like to switch up the usual, but still fabulous, "tomato" salsa for something with different flavors but the same effect. I found this recipe last summer while searching around on...yup, pinterest. It drew me in because I'd never thought to put cucumbers in my salsa. 

Last night was our ward Relief Society activity for July 7& since it's summer we did a BBQ. I had no problem deciding what to bring....chips + salsa every time, BUT what kind? I hadn't made this salsa for a while so I went with it. Here we go:



Cucumber Salsa: [yield roughly 3 c.]
2 c. finely chopped, seeded, peeled cucumber
1/2 c. finely chopped seeded tomato
1/4 c. chopped red onion
2 T. minced fresh parsley
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded & chopped
4 1/2 t. minced fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove minced, or pressed
1/4 c. light sour cream [I use So Delicious Plain Greek Almond Yogurt to make it dairy free]
1- 1/2 t. lemon juice
1-1/2 t. lime juice
1/4 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. season salt
chips for dipping'

-combine the first 7 ingredients. In separate bowl combine sour cream (or plain yogurt), lemon juice, lime juice, cumin, & salt. Pour over cucumber mixture & toss to coat. Enjoy.












First peel the cucumbers. This is literally THE best peeler out there. If you don't have one, you need one. Seriously. Don't argue.

I doubled my batch since I was taking it to a gathering & I know there are other salsa pigs out there like me.  

I sliced them up like so.

Then I made a cucumber castle.
& took a watermelon snack break.






































I used a lid to remove the cores out of the cucumbers. If you don't take out the core the salsa will be very watery.


then dice it up & throw it in a bowl


Next cube the tomatoes. I used 5 [i'm very bad at following recipes, I use the "eye-ball method' for measurements]










































dice the onion.


chop the parsley & cilantro


add & stir.
add cumin, lemon & lime juice, garlic, & sour cream together in separate bowl.
 

stir, consume.
Some wonderful sister knew exactly what I like & brought some tropical fruit to the party for me to devour. It was nice getting to know more of the other ladies in the ward. They're all very sweet & so friendly. I encourage everyone to meet a new person today, or get to know an acquaintance better. Making new friends is amazing, we never know how they can help us or we can help them!
I hope you try this salsa variant, then let me know what you think! 
Have a great day!

peace n' blessings

8 comments:

  1. Yum Court this looks good! Have you made it for me before??? If not, you will need to ;) hehe
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm I can't remember if I have or not, but I will for sure make it for you :) DIP PARTY!!

      Delete
  2. Looks good. Love your idea about taking out the cucumber seeds. Never to old to learn something new. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grandma!! Too true! I try to learn AT LEAST one new thing/day. Me+neflix documentaries are really good friends. My list of random facts is getting pretty long!
      Let me know if you make this, I want to know what you think :)
      love you!

      Delete
  3. That seriously looks amazing!!
    And hey, I eyeball everything too! No two times of cooking something
    ever come out exactly the same, that's the beauty of it

    ♥ http://ahappinessundefined.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maureen! & yes, the second time around I feel like I put more of my taste into a recipe! I'm like: "psh, I like waaaay more cilantro than that Recipe, don't tell me what to do!" So it always comes out much better :)

      Delete
  4. that peeler is the best! and this looks so yum!

    ​x vittoria // http://www.the-beautiful-things.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you vittoria! the julienne peeler that came with it is amazing too!!

      Delete